Sunday, July 12, 2009

Learning Patience as a Mom

In the evenings when I sit in Luke's room in the dark at bedtime, I've been talking to God. It's become a great prayer time. God has really taught me patience and to see where my priorities lie.

Even though my son needs me to sit near him while he falls asleep, I realize it's okay. I'm a mom; it's my job. What other pressing needs are there, other than TV or reading a book in the evenings? (I can make jewelry while the kids are playing or during naptime.) My kids must be the most important focus each day. I've learned to show Luke that I'm there for him to offer the reassurance he needs. He's very clingy right now and I believe it's just a stage and he'll soon grow out of it. I'm trying to remain patient and really listen when he tells me what he needs.

Everyone keeps telling me they're only this young for such a short time and to take the time to really enjoy my kids. So, that's what I'm trying to do. Each evening Marty and I head into Luke's room while both kids jump on his bed and climb on the play structure with the slide. There's a lot of tickling, giggling and laughing going on then; it's been great quality family time. We've learned how much how our kids need this time with us. We've learned to let go of other distractions for a little while, especially the computer.

Last night it took extra long to get Luke to bed. He kept getting up repeatedly for over an hour. But I have to remember that many nights, he goes right to sleep. Even though he's still waking up in the night, I just keeping walking him back to bed. I figure it's only a matter of time before he begins sleeping through the night again. He no longer needs a sippy cup to fall asleep, thank God. He only gets drinks of water if he wakes up, and usually will go right back to sleep. And God is helping me endure on very disrupted sleep, even on those days I don't get a nap.

So, I just wanted to remind everyone that God is good, He is always there for us, and when we keep the focus on Him we can get through anything!

1 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Skerrib said...

Right on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home