Monday, February 25, 2008

Lexie's 31 Week Update

I had another ultrasound and saw the doctor on Wednesday. Lexie is now 4 lbs 8 oz and is 16.5" long. Her head circumference is already 30.3 cm; Luke's head was 35 cm when he was born and he got stuck! I'm praying her head doesn't get too much bigger. She's very healthy, though, and all her parts look perfect. She even reconfirmed that she's definitely a girl!

I'm scheduled for another ultrasound at 35 weeks. Once we get another look and measurements we'll discuss various options for delivery... all depending on how big she's grown. They said she could gain anywhere from 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week from here on out... yikes! Even if she only gains 1/2 lb per week, we're looking at an 8 1/2 lb baby. She's definitely bigger than Luke was a this point, and heavier.

A friend's sister-in-law is also a patient of Dr. Banias, and last week she was 37 weeks along. Her baby was measuring 8 lbs 15 oz, so they gave her 2 options figuring her baby was too big to wait to go into labor naturally: (1) induce now; or (2) schedule a c-section at 39 weeks. She took the second option so her baby could cook as long as possible.

If I have to make that decision, I'm probably going to induce again. I really don't want to have surgery unless it's medically necessary. And this baby is so big that I don't think I'd have the problems with induction I had with Luke. My body's been through it once before and I believe it will be more ready for labor this time around. Any thoughts?

2 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a tough call... They say that it's hard labor when you induce and your body is not ready. Of course, when I was induced, I was 1 1/2 cm and 33% effaced, and labor wasn't bad. Of course, this might have been why Isabelle was face up. Even if she was in the right direction, my doctor said that I'd probably still would have needed a c-section. I would have much rather had her naturally (well, with an epidural) since I had problems with the c-section. But many women are just fine... I am finally healing better and feeling more normal - 10 weeks later. BTW, at Nikki's last ultrasound his weight didn't change, so they pushed her c-section into her 40th week! I was surprised myself, but she's not dialated and they say since he's doing fine, they want to keep it close to 40 weeks as possible. The c-section is scheduled 2 days before her due date. Crazy!!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Sara M. said...

Ethan was 9lb, 7oz & he popped right out. It's not that bad to have a big baby, really - it just sounds scary.
I'm anti-induction anyway, if you didn't already know. Ask me & I'll say wait as long as the baby needs to wait & use no meds at all.
But that's me :o) Everyone is different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home